Skip to main content

Getting Off My Lazy Butt (Part 4)

Ah yes, the job hunt. Every college graduates dreaded 1st step into the "real" world.

Long story short, I moved to Indiana for a job, moved into my first apartment, got hooked up with a great church, and met an amazing friend who introduced me around and helped me find connections.

It's funny how fast memory fades. I really don't remember much until I start looking at pictures or my check book or email.

I had no family or friends when I first moved to Indiana; so it was a “I'm-trusting-God-to-survive” time in my life.

There were ups and downs. I made lots of friends, many I'm still in touch with and others I've lost contact. I continue to make friends, and have come to realize that friends are not always friends forever. Well, you're still friends, but the nature of your relationships is always changing, because people change.

I began getting involved with my church's singles group. In a few years, I actually found myself in a place of leadership. That was good, and frustrating. It gave me a better understanding of the challenges of wrangling people.

Things got changed up a bit when one of the staff pastors came on board to help. I was part of the leadership team and doing what I could to encourage others. But inside I was still struggling. Through all these good times and great blessings, I was still a terrible person inside sometimes.

The reason is I struggled with a secret sin. It's not like you could look at me and say, "Oh yeah, she's a horrible person. Definitely going to hell." See, that's the power of secret sin: it can't be seen because it's hidden, in one's mind, in one’s heart, behind closed doors. No one sees, no one knows. Sure, you know and God knows, but denial is a big part of secret sin’s power.

I struggled with my secret sin, thankfully. I write thankfully because I was often in fear that I was not really saved. I feared my relationship with God wasn't real because I was still sinning. The fact that I struggled and felt remorse was a comfort because a little part of me, a very, very little part, had hope that maybe, just maybe, I wasn't a lost cause.

In retrospect, that's a seriously arrogant attitude I had: total pride on my part. When I focus on myself and not God, it's easy to think the world revolves around me. And I'm single. No kids. A couple cats, yeah but really, few responsibilities. If I wanted my world could revolve around me.

For the better part of the 2000 decade, my world DID revolve around me.

Again, just like when I was younger, I know there are people who would argue with me on this point. I did a lot of “good” things; I was active in church, Bible studies, volunteering various places, visiting my family like a good daughter, exhibiting a good work ethic at my job, ect… What about my heart? They don’t really know what was going on inside me. My heart was a battle ground. (It still is, but more on the good news about that later.)

Years ago, (I’m not sure when, maybe 5 years ago?), I had a missionary friend talk me through a lot of prayer on the phone when I managed to confess my secret sins to her. The main focus was on letting the Holy Spirit have control of my life especially in the area I was struggling. We talked on the phone several times, a lot of it in prayer. She came through the state on a trip and stopped for dinner. We prayed again and I confessed and I believed I was free.

Except I didn't really "let go and let God". I kept trying to keep my sin in check in my power. I stayed in control. That of course, did not work. I had recognized I needed the Holy Spirit’s help but I didn’t actually let Him have control. So I stumbled. I fell. I gave into temptation. I stopped being accountable to my friend partly because she was out of the country and partly because I was ashamed. Even more ashamed than the first time, because I'd fallen back in the old patterns after trying so hard and seeking forgiveness. I went through a run of biblical counseling but again, even though they gave me the tools to overcome sin, I still tried doing everything in my power.

By the time the fall of 2010 rolled around, I have to admit that I'd come to the conclusion that it didn't matter what safe guards I put in my life. My fallen nature, my flesh, was clever and would find the loopholes in the systems I create to block it and drag me back towards temptation. I thought I'd always be trapped. I kept reading books, reading the Bible, occasionally talking to a select group of ladies I'd shared with over the years and at one time or another been accountable to.

I'm ashamed to say that I never stuck with one accountability partner. It would help for a while but then when things were going well, I'd fall out of the habit of talking and being accountable. Then the next time I'd fall to temptation, I'd be scared or embarrassed to go back to my accountability partner. In hindsight, that is ridiculous behavior.

Again, that's the devil's power at work with secret sin. He makes you think that you're horrible and disgusting and filthy and no one could ever look at you the same if you confessed that. They'd think you were such a hypocrite. You'd lose all credibility in their eyes. The devil likes to lie to you and point out your sin and accuse you, until finally convincing you that God couldn’t possibly be willing to forgive you again for that sin.

That’s where I found myself. Wanting to serve God and on the outside, looking like a great Christian. A lot of the time I think I was close to being a good witness. Struggling with a major inner demon and thinking I was never going to be free.

Little did I realize I close to my breaking point. I couldn’t see the big picture and what God had planned in 2011.

To Be Continued One Last Time…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Always with the new beginnings

Wow. A lot can change in a couple months. My first year in Bible Study Fellowship is now over. It's weird. I'm sad to be losing my discussion group. They're a wonderful collage of women from whom I have learned much. They've made me laugh, they've touched my soul and shown me perspectives I could never truly imagine on my own. In another week and half, my ladies Bible study group on Wednesday, which I lovingly nickname my McDanell study, will be finishing up our current book called The Cycles of Victorious Living by Earl and Hazel Lee. It's a good book and I would recommend it. A little birdie called the church bulletin, informed me the Wednesday night group would study Hebrews next. I hope that is true--I'm ready for digging into a book of the Bible study. Lastly, my small group has started a new book. (Yes, I was in three Bible studies this winter. No, I'm probably not doing that again). The book is something Dave L. was reading and thought we'd

BSF Study Finishing Up Leviticus

Leviticus 26 is a good read. It's the blessings and punishments the Lord details to the Isrealites for obeying or disobeying the decrees and laws handed down at Mt. Sinai. First God lays out the blessings and they are wonderful. Abundant crops, peace, victory over enemies, God dwelling and walking among the people...the first 13 verses are brimming with promises of rewards for obeying God's decress and law. Then, dude, there's a lot of punishments. And yes, they are terrible. The consequences of disobeying God are numerous and destructive and, quite frankly, depressing. Four times, in verses 18, 21, 24 & 28, God says that He will punish their sins 7x over. That's heavy. But all this despair is not without hope. Starting in verse 40 God shows the way out of disobedience and wrath....confess their (the Isrealites) sins, humble their uncircumcised hearts and pay for their sins (by the sin offering set up earlier in the Law). THEN God says He will not reject them,

childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies

if childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies then adulthood is the kingdom where nobody stays. at least not for very long.  everyone and everything is transitory. not everyone dies but that is the way many leave us. some move away, far or near, with promise on both sides to write, to call, to stay in touch. with every modern convenience available we still lose contact, friendships sever and we discover who really cares about our life and who we really care for.  yet others do not die, do not move and yet become absent. people we once thought we couldn't live without are abruptly not around anymore. in reality they didn't suddenly disappear. it was a gradual process taking weeks, months, maybe years. until one day you can't remember what they look like. oh, you can look at a picture and see them but it's just a picture. it's not really them. you close your eyes and can't clearly envision them. who they are is fading and while there are some vivid bright points