Skip to main content

Always with the new beginnings

Wow. A lot can change in a couple months. My first year in Bible Study Fellowship is now over. It's weird. I'm sad to be losing my discussion group. They're a wonderful collage of women from whom I have learned much. They've made me laugh, they've touched my soul and shown me perspectives I could never truly imagine on my own. In another week and half, my ladies Bible study group on Wednesday, which I lovingly nickname my McDanell study, will be finishing up our current book called The Cycles of Victorious Living by Earl and Hazel Lee. It's a good book and I would recommend it. A little birdie called the church bulletin, informed me the Wednesday night group would study Hebrews next. I hope that is true--I'm ready for digging into a book of the Bible study. Lastly, my small group has started a new book. (Yes, I was in three Bible studies this winter. No, I'm probably not doing that again). The book is something Dave L. was reading and thought we'd all benefit. It's called The Untold Story of the New Testament Church: An Extraordinary Guide to Understanding the New Testament. I HIGHLY recommend this book. Six chapters in and I'm hooked. It's a wonderful look at the book of Acts and the letters of the New Testament in the context of the historical times and audiences these letters were written. Lots of changes elsewhere. A friend at work resigned to move home to MI. I'm going to miss her but I am so happy she's made the right decision for herself. Unrelated, I'm getting more responsibilities in my job as well. It's a little nerve racking but I am trusting God to give me the strength to live up to my earthly bosses' expectations. There have been shift changes and corporate changes, none of which I have control over obviously but which affect me directly or indirectly. I trust God is soverign over everything, including my job. On that note, Monday was a day I truly worked for God. Did you know God's the one really signing your paycheck? That perspective changes one's attitude toward work in an extraordinary way. It certainly has for me the last few years. Monday was a new high though. It was an amazing day. I was exhausted when 4pm rolled around but it was a good tired. I got a lot accomplished, not in my strength but in Christ's. Then Monday evening the last BSF meeting came. I was so thankful to share in one more time of discussion with my group; getting to say good-bye for the summer was bittersweet and fun. And then I went and screwed it up later. After such a victorious day, I did not prepare myself for a crash into pride and selfishness and self gratification. It's no one's fault but my own. James chapter 1, verses 14 and 15 say this:
"but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin, and sin, when it is full grown, gives birth to death."
And now here I am, wondering who was that girl that wrote these other posts? How can I have so much trust and faith and love for God one day and the next struggle to find faith the size of a mustard seed? Or just outright rebel when what I want is the opposite? Why do I continue to do what I don't want to do and not do the things that I really want to do? I relate to Paul when he writes in Romans:
"We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it." Romans 7:14-20
"Praise the Lord, He's a God of second chances!" If you've seen Jonah the Veggietales movie you know that some angelic vegetables have a rousing gospel song of encouragement for Jonah in the belly of the whale. It is such a great song. And today I need to hear it. Jesus is all about second chances. I'm a wretched sinner that needs to know I'm not lost permanantly and remember I Christ has saved me from all the mess of my old life and self steeped in sin and depravity. Paul goes on in chapter 8 of Romans to outline that as a believer in Christ, we are free from the law of sin and death. That the Spirit of Christ is in me and I am not controlled by the sinful nature. That's AMAZING! I don't have to give in to sin. The power of Christ and God's Word give me the strength to resist temptation. My lesson for the day/week is not new for me: it's trust in God. I have a feeling I will continue to hear that lesson the rest of my life considering it's the part of my faith I struggle with the most. But again, according to Paul the victory is already Christ's. And because I belong to Him, it's mine too.
"Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death is your sting? The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ!" 1 Corinthians 15:55-57
"No, in all things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neigher height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Jesus Christ our Lord." Romans 8:37-39
I am free of sin and bondage and death in Jesus! And that is something to praise about.

Comments

  1. PTL! What a beautiful confession of being human. We all struggle with the balance of faith and our desires, But like your closing sentence We ARE free of sin we just need to remember that more often!

    And as far as corrections go the paragraph starting with
    " Praise the Lord, He's a God of second chances!"
    The last sentence is wanky, other than that I didn't notice anything! :)

    I Love you and your ability to be honest with yourself :)
    ~M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well taken Mz Twiz. I added a title and tweaked the end of that paragraph. Thanks for your encouragment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mikki,

    Ya ain't got ta wurry nun 'bout grammah, it look good ta me 'n the wiff. :)

    All kidding aside, Mikki, we all struggle, and yes, even I have made a mistake (or 2) in my life that Christ has graciously forgiven me of. I love the song "In the Belly of the Whale" they sing in Veggietales, but remember, unless we humble ourselves as children we will not see the kingdom of God.

    I watch Cory and how much faith he has at the age of 4, and I marvel how he has so much trust and faith in God, and in me, and I struggle with wanting things my way. It also reminds me how much I love my children, and how much I will give for them. How much more does my Heavenly Father love me, and how much more are His blessings if I just listen to Him, read His Word, and trust in Him.

    You are prayed for, and loved dearly.

    Glen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BSF Study Finishing Up Leviticus

Leviticus 26 is a good read. It's the blessings and punishments the Lord details to the Isrealites for obeying or disobeying the decrees and laws handed down at Mt. Sinai. First God lays out the blessings and they are wonderful. Abundant crops, peace, victory over enemies, God dwelling and walking among the people...the first 13 verses are brimming with promises of rewards for obeying God's decress and law. Then, dude, there's a lot of punishments. And yes, they are terrible. The consequences of disobeying God are numerous and destructive and, quite frankly, depressing. Four times, in verses 18, 21, 24 & 28, God says that He will punish their sins 7x over. That's heavy. But all this despair is not without hope. Starting in verse 40 God shows the way out of disobedience and wrath....confess their (the Isrealites) sins, humble their uncircumcised hearts and pay for their sins (by the sin offering set up earlier in the Law). THEN God says He will not reject them,

childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies

if childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies then adulthood is the kingdom where nobody stays. at least not for very long.  everyone and everything is transitory. not everyone dies but that is the way many leave us. some move away, far or near, with promise on both sides to write, to call, to stay in touch. with every modern convenience available we still lose contact, friendships sever and we discover who really cares about our life and who we really care for.  yet others do not die, do not move and yet become absent. people we once thought we couldn't live without are abruptly not around anymore. in reality they didn't suddenly disappear. it was a gradual process taking weeks, months, maybe years. until one day you can't remember what they look like. oh, you can look at a picture and see them but it's just a picture. it's not really them. you close your eyes and can't clearly envision them. who they are is fading and while there are some vivid bright points