Skip to main content

Weirdness

There are a myriad of reasons I'm weird; this is just one.

I don't think I'm a fake, but I am a pretty good actress.  I'm not sure people realize that about me.  I'm a genuine article and truthfulness and honesty are important to me.  But sometimes it takes me a while to realize when I've been acting.  Or maybe I'm just flighty.  It doesn't seem to take much to bring me up or down.

A good example is last week.  I did not want to go to BSF.  I hadn't finished my lesson, I was in a funk and I really didn't want to be around people.  (Yes I had a friend over but we can be in the same room and not really interact between our computers and the TV all being on)

I went to BSF anyway because I'm refusing to let emotions rule me and/or my behavior.  My mind is in charge, not my heart.  Emotions lie and manipulate and confuse.  So I went to BSF and was running a little late; I missed the opening hymns and announcements.  I got to our discussion room and immediately realized there were twice as many chairs as there should be.

Of all nights for there to be more people it was both horrible and perfect. 

Horrible that more people for me to be embarrassed in front of.  More people for me to be exposed to germs up close and personal.  More people for me to be uncomfortable around.  More people to witness me in a time of insecurity. 

Perfect that there were more people to talk, so my failure wouldn't hinder the discussion as much.  Perfect that there were more people and I could blend into the crowd.  Perfect that there were more people who didn't know me so not talking wouldn't seem too weird.

I think my leader Angela suspected I had nothing.  The first time she called on me I couldn't even say anything.  I just shook my head vigorously and she moved on.  Then she called on me later to read a verse, which is a classic technique to get participation from someone.  Especially in BSF when someone hasn't finished their lesson.

I managed to make it through and sat in the sanctuary all the way on the far right, as far from people as I could.

But then a lady came in after we'd started singing and sat in the middle of my row, three chairs away.  So I saddled up beside her and shared the hymnal I was holding.   So much for avoiding people.

Then the lecture began and I managed to stay on track and focus until I started crying for no reason.  Well, that's not entirely true.   Something Barb said hit me but it shouldn't have hit so hard.

But when I came home to my roommate and friend who was still hanging out there, I was fine.  There was no indication in me that anything was amiss.  We stayed up for hours watching movies and surfing the internet and it's like I was pretending to fine.  But I didn't realize that until I went to sleep.

This happens to me or I make it happen a lot it seems.  Even the times when I perk up around my friends only to cry myself home in the car.  Of I wake up horrible and smile all day work.  I'm not being disingenuous; it's that I don't know who I am most of the time.

So my conclusion is I'm totally weird.  That and I have very little idea what's going on in my own head.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Always with the new beginnings

Wow. A lot can change in a couple months. My first year in Bible Study Fellowship is now over. It's weird. I'm sad to be losing my discussion group. They're a wonderful collage of women from whom I have learned much. They've made me laugh, they've touched my soul and shown me perspectives I could never truly imagine on my own. In another week and half, my ladies Bible study group on Wednesday, which I lovingly nickname my McDanell study, will be finishing up our current book called The Cycles of Victorious Living by Earl and Hazel Lee. It's a good book and I would recommend it. A little birdie called the church bulletin, informed me the Wednesday night group would study Hebrews next. I hope that is true--I'm ready for digging into a book of the Bible study. Lastly, my small group has started a new book. (Yes, I was in three Bible studies this winter. No, I'm probably not doing that again). The book is something Dave L. was reading and thought we'd

BSF Study Finishing Up Leviticus

Leviticus 26 is a good read. It's the blessings and punishments the Lord details to the Isrealites for obeying or disobeying the decrees and laws handed down at Mt. Sinai. First God lays out the blessings and they are wonderful. Abundant crops, peace, victory over enemies, God dwelling and walking among the people...the first 13 verses are brimming with promises of rewards for obeying God's decress and law. Then, dude, there's a lot of punishments. And yes, they are terrible. The consequences of disobeying God are numerous and destructive and, quite frankly, depressing. Four times, in verses 18, 21, 24 & 28, God says that He will punish their sins 7x over. That's heavy. But all this despair is not without hope. Starting in verse 40 God shows the way out of disobedience and wrath....confess their (the Isrealites) sins, humble their uncircumcised hearts and pay for their sins (by the sin offering set up earlier in the Law). THEN God says He will not reject them,

childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies

if childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies then adulthood is the kingdom where nobody stays. at least not for very long.  everyone and everything is transitory. not everyone dies but that is the way many leave us. some move away, far or near, with promise on both sides to write, to call, to stay in touch. with every modern convenience available we still lose contact, friendships sever and we discover who really cares about our life and who we really care for.  yet others do not die, do not move and yet become absent. people we once thought we couldn't live without are abruptly not around anymore. in reality they didn't suddenly disappear. it was a gradual process taking weeks, months, maybe years. until one day you can't remember what they look like. oh, you can look at a picture and see them but it's just a picture. it's not really them. you close your eyes and can't clearly envision them. who they are is fading and while there are some vivid bright points