Skip to main content

Okay?

"Hey, how are you?"
"Hi, what's up?"
"How you doing?"
"How's it going"

There are so many variations on this question.  In today's society people are trained to ask this question.  The response is also trained.

"Okay."

Really?  I mean, really?  We have been trained to not really care about the question or answer for most people we ask or answer.  It's a banal, cliche salutation exchange that's been ingrained into our heads.

I try to fight it as much as I can.  I try to come up with different ways to say good.  But I don't want to mislead people if I'm having a crappy day.  Sometimes I admit I don't know.  Sometimes I'm cryptic because it's none of their business what's really going on with me.

Honestly, though, I answer 'okay' a lot.  It's an automatic response.  But it's not always true.

Recently I read a great book called, cold tangerines by Shauna Niequist.  In it she writes wonderful insights about life, seeing the extraordinary in things that happen every day, to all of us.  One of my favorite passages is in the chapter called "good causes".

Being with Julia and Doug today made me think about the idea that everything is okay.  That idea is nothing but cruel in its untruth.  Okayness is a thin scab that rips off every once in a while and exposes a river of blood and infection, an inroad to the whole body.  We live in reasonable peace, accomplishing things and doing what we're told and expecting taht if we behave, we will be rewarded; that for living quietly and industriously, for donating to Easter Seals and letting people merge in front of us on the highway, we will be given good things, good lives.  And then something happens to us; we get that phone call of that feeling or that doctor's report, and everything changes.
     The sky might as well be red, the solid ground replaced with seawater, because it is a different world.  It's like a chemical change, charges reversing from positive to negative.  And in the midst of this change, you look around and realize that everyone else seems to be doing fine, that you must be the only one who notices this change.
     We preserve the myth even though we no longer believe it.  We insist that everything is okay.  But we're kidding ourselves.  Can you look into the eyes of the people around you and really believe that everything is okay?  We want to believe that things roll off our backs, that we are tough and world-wise, and that we're all holding it together pretty well.  But you which door you lock behind you when you're crying so hard you can't see.  You know what word or image rips off that scab.  Everything is not okay.
     In all my scramblings to do the right thing and be the right person, I miss some of the most important things I think God might be asking me to do.

I'm certainly not okay.  I'm not even trying to listen to God half the time these days.  I'm starting to shut down in some ways.  And I'm not sure I care enough to reverse it.  Maybe the spiral down will fuel more writing.  I'm sure eventually I'll care again.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Always with the new beginnings

Wow. A lot can change in a couple months. My first year in Bible Study Fellowship is now over. It's weird. I'm sad to be losing my discussion group. They're a wonderful collage of women from whom I have learned much. They've made me laugh, they've touched my soul and shown me perspectives I could never truly imagine on my own. In another week and half, my ladies Bible study group on Wednesday, which I lovingly nickname my McDanell study, will be finishing up our current book called The Cycles of Victorious Living by Earl and Hazel Lee. It's a good book and I would recommend it. A little birdie called the church bulletin, informed me the Wednesday night group would study Hebrews next. I hope that is true--I'm ready for digging into a book of the Bible study. Lastly, my small group has started a new book. (Yes, I was in three Bible studies this winter. No, I'm probably not doing that again). The book is something Dave L. was reading and thought we'd

BSF Study Finishing Up Leviticus

Leviticus 26 is a good read. It's the blessings and punishments the Lord details to the Isrealites for obeying or disobeying the decrees and laws handed down at Mt. Sinai. First God lays out the blessings and they are wonderful. Abundant crops, peace, victory over enemies, God dwelling and walking among the people...the first 13 verses are brimming with promises of rewards for obeying God's decress and law. Then, dude, there's a lot of punishments. And yes, they are terrible. The consequences of disobeying God are numerous and destructive and, quite frankly, depressing. Four times, in verses 18, 21, 24 & 28, God says that He will punish their sins 7x over. That's heavy. But all this despair is not without hope. Starting in verse 40 God shows the way out of disobedience and wrath....confess their (the Isrealites) sins, humble their uncircumcised hearts and pay for their sins (by the sin offering set up earlier in the Law). THEN God says He will not reject them,

childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies

if childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies then adulthood is the kingdom where nobody stays. at least not for very long.  everyone and everything is transitory. not everyone dies but that is the way many leave us. some move away, far or near, with promise on both sides to write, to call, to stay in touch. with every modern convenience available we still lose contact, friendships sever and we discover who really cares about our life and who we really care for.  yet others do not die, do not move and yet become absent. people we once thought we couldn't live without are abruptly not around anymore. in reality they didn't suddenly disappear. it was a gradual process taking weeks, months, maybe years. until one day you can't remember what they look like. oh, you can look at a picture and see them but it's just a picture. it's not really them. you close your eyes and can't clearly envision them. who they are is fading and while there are some vivid bright points