Skip to main content

Divine

It's snowing outside.  Not the blizzard like snow or the stuff that really accumulates.  I think it's movie snow.  Girlfriends have talked of it lately; they want movie snow.

I joked of setting up wind machines and getting bleached corn flakes or shredded foam to make them "movie" snow.  Now as I look outside I see what they meant.  Like looking through a filter of white flakes--everything seems pretty.

The wind has been blowing too much for me.  The umbrellas outside the window are coiled and secured but still they sway and swish and rock, precariously it seems, under the ferocity of the wind's wrath.

Just goes to show: life is not a movie. No matter how I imagine it so, life doesn't flow like a nice little tide story on the silver screen.  Life has plot lines that don't get resolved, relationships than never heal and wind that blows too hard.

These descriptions could all be said of bad movies as well, which are perhaps closer to life than "good" movies.

As I sit here I finish my book, cold tangerines.  It's a book of celebration in everyday life, the extraordinary way God shows up daily, and how all of us are struggling in our own ways to make sense of life and faith and ourselves.

A wonderful friend recommended the book to me.  I love how I think I know her and we get together and talk and I'm still surprised to learn more about her.  Something she dislikes or how her kittens make her and her husband laugh or a new wine she's discovered and loves.

We are so different.  She is quiet and reserved and cultured and intelligent and musically gifted in a way that would make me jealous is she wasn't such a gracious and loving friend.  I am loud and boisterous and like to think I'm cultured and can carry a tune but I don't always think I'm smart.

She is also beautiful and whenever I'm around her I imitate her good posture.  She is so many things I aspire to be like and wish I was more.  And the more I grow to know her, the more I see she is just as human as I am.  She's not perfect or a saint.  She has struggles too.  She gets it right and has great days and weeks.

I find more and more how we are alike.  How our faith and thought process and temperaments are similar.  How these and our personalities weave in our lives to hinder us at times and hold us back from being the women God wants us to be and already sees us as.

The book she recommended, called 'cold tangerines', is a book she owned and let me borrow.  That was a risky move on her part because like me, she highlights and underlines as she reads.  It's one of the most intimate experiences, reading after her.  I'll read and suddenly I spy a marked passage coming or a phrase or sentence highlighted.

It's been a glimpse into my friend's soul.  What I see makes me love her all the more.

I see a woman so like myself, striving to come to terms with life and herself and God and love and everything that happens on this journey, be it what comes or what we make out of it ourselves.

I look outside the window and see those two umbrellas shaking in the wind.  But still standing and together.  I see my friend and me, anchored by God and swaying in the circumstances of life.

It all makes me smile and celebrate this moment.  Amidst the chatter of the barristers, the music playing softly and the customers around, I am sitting here having a sacred moment.  My soul is at peace.  I see the eternal despite the temporal surroundings.  I celebrate my friend, how blessed she is by God and how blessed I am to have her my friend.

This is the day that the Lord has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it.  Psalm 118:24

Comments

  1. I have a tear, I am seriously moved, trully beautiful Mikki.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Always with the new beginnings

Wow. A lot can change in a couple months. My first year in Bible Study Fellowship is now over. It's weird. I'm sad to be losing my discussion group. They're a wonderful collage of women from whom I have learned much. They've made me laugh, they've touched my soul and shown me perspectives I could never truly imagine on my own. In another week and half, my ladies Bible study group on Wednesday, which I lovingly nickname my McDanell study, will be finishing up our current book called The Cycles of Victorious Living by Earl and Hazel Lee. It's a good book and I would recommend it. A little birdie called the church bulletin, informed me the Wednesday night group would study Hebrews next. I hope that is true--I'm ready for digging into a book of the Bible study. Lastly, my small group has started a new book. (Yes, I was in three Bible studies this winter. No, I'm probably not doing that again). The book is something Dave L. was reading and thought we'd

BSF Study Finishing Up Leviticus

Leviticus 26 is a good read. It's the blessings and punishments the Lord details to the Isrealites for obeying or disobeying the decrees and laws handed down at Mt. Sinai. First God lays out the blessings and they are wonderful. Abundant crops, peace, victory over enemies, God dwelling and walking among the people...the first 13 verses are brimming with promises of rewards for obeying God's decress and law. Then, dude, there's a lot of punishments. And yes, they are terrible. The consequences of disobeying God are numerous and destructive and, quite frankly, depressing. Four times, in verses 18, 21, 24 & 28, God says that He will punish their sins 7x over. That's heavy. But all this despair is not without hope. Starting in verse 40 God shows the way out of disobedience and wrath....confess their (the Isrealites) sins, humble their uncircumcised hearts and pay for their sins (by the sin offering set up earlier in the Law). THEN God says He will not reject them,

childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies

if childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies then adulthood is the kingdom where nobody stays. at least not for very long.  everyone and everything is transitory. not everyone dies but that is the way many leave us. some move away, far or near, with promise on both sides to write, to call, to stay in touch. with every modern convenience available we still lose contact, friendships sever and we discover who really cares about our life and who we really care for.  yet others do not die, do not move and yet become absent. people we once thought we couldn't live without are abruptly not around anymore. in reality they didn't suddenly disappear. it was a gradual process taking weeks, months, maybe years. until one day you can't remember what they look like. oh, you can look at a picture and see them but it's just a picture. it's not really them. you close your eyes and can't clearly envision them. who they are is fading and while there are some vivid bright points