Skip to main content

What Makes Me Mad

I wish that all men were as I am. But each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that. Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am. But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion. 1 Corinthians 7:7-9

For your Maker is your husband--the Lord Almighty is his name-- the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer; he is called the God of all the earth. Isaiah 54:5

In my last post, I mentioned a brother in Christ was upset* over the lack of single men who were also godly men, strong in their faith. He drove away from a party I'd hosted, talking to his wife and just couldn't believe that two smart, beautifully spiritual women could still be unmarried, referring to my roommate and myself. *Upset was not the word he used, but I haven't decided if 'pissed' is a cuss word or not. :)

My friend talked to me about it and the fact that he was angry that there are so many idiots out there. I had to laugh at that. It was refreshing to hear a guy lament the situation in life I find myself in. I tend to think no one but my single girlfriends really understands what's going on. Sure, the married girlfriends have been there, but they're married now. Their perspective is certainly and definitely invaluable but it doesn't always feel sympathetic.

So where ARE all the available godly men?

There's not a lot of them in church. At least that I've seen. Having been a part of the young adult leadership in the past, I can safely say from my experience that many young single men who are Christians aren't coming to young adult activities or singles groups.

Maybe they're just not at the churches I've been to.

One thing has become clear. Well, several things actually.

1) There are relativity few single men who are strong men of God. I'm sorry if you are reading this and are one, but you gotta admit: you're an endangered species.

2) A lot of the single guys you find at church are there because of a girl. That may or may not mean they themselves believe in Jesus, but they certainly want to be with said girl and if said girl is in church, so will they.

3) Many of the strong godly men I know who are married didn't necessarily start out the relationship or even marriage as a strong godly man.

There are some exceptions to that--I can list a couple friends right off the bat who are blessed that their husbands were strong men of God from the beginning. That doesn't mean they're perfect men; they're still human and they still fail and stumble and don't do everything right. But the glue that holds those husbands and wives together is Jesus.

And a couple of them have had a talking to from me. My favorite story is about a couple I know who are both dear friends. When they started dating I pulled them aside and told him that basically if he ever hurt her, they'd never find his body. We laughed about it, still do but the truth is I would totally go through with it if I had to. But I know I won't.

So, the questions that comes to mind are--am I setting my standards too high? Am I demanding too much of a potential husband? I don't think I am setting myself up to a life of no man matching up, but I'm open to the possibility I could be wrong. However, there are a number of things that are non-negotiable traits when it comes to a husband as far as I am concerned. I'm not willing to settle. I'm not sure I'm willing to lower the bar of expectations. Right now, I'm determined to not worry about it. It ultimately is up to God whether I marry. I hope and pray that I am able to discern His will in all my present and future relationships.

And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ-to the glory and praise of God. Philippians 1:9-11

Comments

  1. 1) "Pissed" is not a cuss word.
    2) Preach on, sis. Preach on!!
    3) We should write a song about this: "Where Have All the Jesus Guys Goooooonee??"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Always with the new beginnings

Wow. A lot can change in a couple months. My first year in Bible Study Fellowship is now over. It's weird. I'm sad to be losing my discussion group. They're a wonderful collage of women from whom I have learned much. They've made me laugh, they've touched my soul and shown me perspectives I could never truly imagine on my own. In another week and half, my ladies Bible study group on Wednesday, which I lovingly nickname my McDanell study, will be finishing up our current book called The Cycles of Victorious Living by Earl and Hazel Lee. It's a good book and I would recommend it. A little birdie called the church bulletin, informed me the Wednesday night group would study Hebrews next. I hope that is true--I'm ready for digging into a book of the Bible study. Lastly, my small group has started a new book. (Yes, I was in three Bible studies this winter. No, I'm probably not doing that again). The book is something Dave L. was reading and thought we'd

BSF Study Finishing Up Leviticus

Leviticus 26 is a good read. It's the blessings and punishments the Lord details to the Isrealites for obeying or disobeying the decrees and laws handed down at Mt. Sinai. First God lays out the blessings and they are wonderful. Abundant crops, peace, victory over enemies, God dwelling and walking among the people...the first 13 verses are brimming with promises of rewards for obeying God's decress and law. Then, dude, there's a lot of punishments. And yes, they are terrible. The consequences of disobeying God are numerous and destructive and, quite frankly, depressing. Four times, in verses 18, 21, 24 & 28, God says that He will punish their sins 7x over. That's heavy. But all this despair is not without hope. Starting in verse 40 God shows the way out of disobedience and wrath....confess their (the Isrealites) sins, humble their uncircumcised hearts and pay for their sins (by the sin offering set up earlier in the Law). THEN God says He will not reject them,

childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies

if childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies then adulthood is the kingdom where nobody stays. at least not for very long.  everyone and everything is transitory. not everyone dies but that is the way many leave us. some move away, far or near, with promise on both sides to write, to call, to stay in touch. with every modern convenience available we still lose contact, friendships sever and we discover who really cares about our life and who we really care for.  yet others do not die, do not move and yet become absent. people we once thought we couldn't live without are abruptly not around anymore. in reality they didn't suddenly disappear. it was a gradual process taking weeks, months, maybe years. until one day you can't remember what they look like. oh, you can look at a picture and see them but it's just a picture. it's not really them. you close your eyes and can't clearly envision them. who they are is fading and while there are some vivid bright points