Skip to main content

I started to read Romans...

Romans 1:20 says,

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.
I've been thinking about this and I've often been prone to thanking God for the weather and His creation.  I know I don't always like the weather but I think it's important to remember God set it all in motion and continues to guide it.  I really enjoy the changing of the seasons.  Seeing God's plan for the earth in action is beautful.  And the life applications found in the cycle of life, nature, the idea of death and rebirth are so obvious from a biblical point of view.

There's a wonderful song by Nichole Nordeman called Every Season (Copyright Arisoe Records). The lyrics are wonderful:

Every evening sky, an invitation
To trace the patterned stars
And early in July, a celebration
For freedom that is ours
And I notice You
In children´s games
In those who watch them from the shade
Every drop of sun is full of fun & wonder
You are summer

And even when the trees have just surrendered
To the harvest time
Forfeiting their leaves in late September
And sending us inside
Still I notice You when change begins
And I am braced for colder winds
I will offer thanks for what has been & what´s to come
You are autumn

And everything in time & under heaven
Finally falls asleep
Wrapped in blankets white, all creation
Shivers underneath
And still I notice you
When branches crack
And in my breath on frosted glass
Even now in death, You open doors for life to enter
You are winter

And everything that is new has bravely surfaced
Teaching us to breathe
What was frozen through is newly purposed
Turning all things green
So it is with You
And how You make me new
With every season´s change
And so it will be
As You are re-creating me
Summer, autumn, winter, spring

The awesome power creation has and can wield is mind-blowing at times.  The amazing and vivid colors, majestic landscapes, incredible ocean horizons, the height and depth and width of some of the most amazing natural wonders of the world are breathtaking.  I'll admit It's not always pretty.  Sometimes it's even tragic when it comes to tsunamis, hurricanes, tornadoes and other natural disasters.

But the rising and setting sun.  Full moons.  Starry nights.  A babbling brook.  A rushing waterfall.  A range of snow capped mountains that are your morning view as soon as you unzip your tent entrance.  The moose that happens to be less than 100 ft from your campsite.  The rapids of a raging river.  The gentle song of tall grasses rustling in the evening breeze.  There's so much more beauty to behold than there is destruction.

My favorite is definately the night sky.  I enjoy visiting the Holcomb Observatory at Butler campus almost every year (sometimes several times a year).  Seeing the planetarium show, looking the biggest telescope in the state of Indiana open to the public (there's one larger but not public).  This year some friends and I explored the grounds and gardens.   That was fantastic!  But there's nothing so intoxicating for me as a night sky lit up with sparkling stars and planets. 

Lyrics to another song.  Michael W. Smith had a b-side release that I've rarely heard played.  And it's prehaps one of the most gorgeous songs about praising God he's ever written.  (I think) :)  It's called Evening Show (Copyright Michael W. Smith).  I added italics for emphasis on my memorable lines.

On a cold and cloudless night
In a field of amber grain
A gentle spirit guides the wind
Oh, and settles on the plain
Big sky, red glow
Behold, behold the evening show

I set my face against the sky
I feel my heart at rest
In a palace filled with mighty works
Oh, this might have been His best
Sun down, see glow
It's time to watch the evening show

Oh velvet black, the moon burns bright
Orion is on high
A thousand, million trails of light
Reminds me of the fourth of July
Aim high, move slow
Stand back, and watch the evening show

I cast the worries to the ground
They trouble me no more
I sense the peace that's only found
When I wander through Your open door
Aim high, move slow
Stand back, and watch the evening show

It's more, more than we can know
Be still, and watch the evening show

There's so much beauty around.  I say, take some time to enjoy it.  Bask and meditate on God's amazing handiwork, outside your bedroom window or a walk through your neighborhood park.  Seek Him out in nature and you will definately find him.

It may be chilly but the colors are fall are still around.  Get out there and praise God for the season!
Psalm 98
A psalm.

1 Sing to the LORD a new song,
for he has done marvelous things;
his right hand and his holy arm
have worked salvation for him.
2 The LORD has made his salvation known
and revealed his righteousness to the nations.

3 He has remembered his love
and his faithfulness to the house of Israel;
all the ends of the earth have seen
the salvation of our God.

4 Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth,
burst into jubilant song with music;
5 make music to the LORD with the harp,
with the harp and the sound of singing,
6 with trumpets and the blast of the ram's horn—
shout for joy before the LORD, the King.

7 Let the sea resound, and everything in it,
the world, and all who live in it.

8 Let the rivers clap their hands,
Let the mountains sing together for joy; 9 let them sing before the LORD,
for he comes to judge the earth.
He will judge the world in righteousness
and the peoples with equity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Always with the new beginnings

Wow. A lot can change in a couple months. My first year in Bible Study Fellowship is now over. It's weird. I'm sad to be losing my discussion group. They're a wonderful collage of women from whom I have learned much. They've made me laugh, they've touched my soul and shown me perspectives I could never truly imagine on my own. In another week and half, my ladies Bible study group on Wednesday, which I lovingly nickname my McDanell study, will be finishing up our current book called The Cycles of Victorious Living by Earl and Hazel Lee. It's a good book and I would recommend it. A little birdie called the church bulletin, informed me the Wednesday night group would study Hebrews next. I hope that is true--I'm ready for digging into a book of the Bible study. Lastly, my small group has started a new book. (Yes, I was in three Bible studies this winter. No, I'm probably not doing that again). The book is something Dave L. was reading and thought we'd

BSF Study Finishing Up Leviticus

Leviticus 26 is a good read. It's the blessings and punishments the Lord details to the Isrealites for obeying or disobeying the decrees and laws handed down at Mt. Sinai. First God lays out the blessings and they are wonderful. Abundant crops, peace, victory over enemies, God dwelling and walking among the people...the first 13 verses are brimming with promises of rewards for obeying God's decress and law. Then, dude, there's a lot of punishments. And yes, they are terrible. The consequences of disobeying God are numerous and destructive and, quite frankly, depressing. Four times, in verses 18, 21, 24 & 28, God says that He will punish their sins 7x over. That's heavy. But all this despair is not without hope. Starting in verse 40 God shows the way out of disobedience and wrath....confess their (the Isrealites) sins, humble their uncircumcised hearts and pay for their sins (by the sin offering set up earlier in the Law). THEN God says He will not reject them,

childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies

if childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies then adulthood is the kingdom where nobody stays. at least not for very long.  everyone and everything is transitory. not everyone dies but that is the way many leave us. some move away, far or near, with promise on both sides to write, to call, to stay in touch. with every modern convenience available we still lose contact, friendships sever and we discover who really cares about our life and who we really care for.  yet others do not die, do not move and yet become absent. people we once thought we couldn't live without are abruptly not around anymore. in reality they didn't suddenly disappear. it was a gradual process taking weeks, months, maybe years. until one day you can't remember what they look like. oh, you can look at a picture and see them but it's just a picture. it's not really them. you close your eyes and can't clearly envision them. who they are is fading and while there are some vivid bright points