Skip to main content

Retreat Revelations Part 3 of 3

Sooooooooo I didn’t read very much of Celebration of Disciple. Just two chapters. But they were good chapters.  Meditation was the subject of chapter 2. One of the first things that popped out at me was a quote from Carl Jung that said
Hurry is not of the Devil; it is the Devil.
There’s an entire blog dedicated to that topic later so we’ll move on for now.

Apparently God desires my fellowship. And yours. Don’t ask me why because I still don’t quite understand why. One of the ways to be in fellowship with God is meditation.

This is not to be confused with most Eastern religions view of meditation. Eastern meditation is focused with detaching oneself from the world and losing your identity. Meditation in the form Foster is addressing for Christians is about "ruminating on God’s Word", listening to God and filling your mind with God. 

While Eastern meditation simply empties the mind, Christian meditation doesn’t just empty the mind of evil and selfishness and self, it goes further and fills the mind with goodness. As Foster puts it, “detachment is not enough; we must go on to attachment.”
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—thing about such things. Philippians 4:8
I agree with Foster in that I think meditation is a little intimidating. I do tend to think that there’s some certain way it has to be done and I could never be as great as the spiritual giants of the past or present. I probably over-think it as well: having a scientific mind, I want logic and reason and the order.

Above all however is my FEAR. I’m scared of meditation. That’s what I found out on my retreat. Foster says it himself on page 24 of Celebration “To be in the presence of God is to change.” And the sad fact is, a lot of times I don’t want to change. Not that I just don’t feel like it, but that I consciously make the choice not to. Foster goes on to say
It [meditation] boldly calls us to enter into the living presence of God for ourselves.
No human mediator. No human priest. No pastor. No parent/grandparent. No family member. No friend. Ourselves. In the living presence of the Creator of the universe. The Almighty God. The Great I AM. That’s just downright scary. And beyond intimidating. And humbling. And confusing.

The fact that I am scared of meditation is probably related to my fear of silence and solitude. Meditation can certainly be done anytime, anyplace but Foster does point out that a beginner is probably best practicing a formal or certain time and away from all the hub-bub, best found in a designated place. On page 27 he writes
If we are constantly being swept off our feet with frantic activity we will be unable to be attentive to the moment of inward silence.
The two forms of meditation that Foster mentions that I would like to be trying out are meditation upon Scripture and the exercise he called “palms down, palms up.”

Meditating on the Scripture is “internalizing and personalizing the passage” (pg 29) versus study which is about exegesis. Foster suggests taking small portions, like a few verses, an event or a parable and really develop it in your imagination. Place yourself there in the story or verses.

The other form, “palms down, palms up”, is a symbolic gesture to God. In the palms down portion one turns over all the cares and worries one has to God and say “palms down”. Then release it to God. Then one places your palms up and receives from God whatever is needed. Foster suggests praying silently and notes that impressions or directions may or may not come, and both circumstances are okay.

Tune in tomorrow for a quick wrap up of my second retreat day.
Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.  Hebrews 4:14-16

P.S. Thanks to my dad for being the first to catch all my spelling errors of the word 'meditating' which I was spelling 'mediating'.  So sorry for any confusing on the first post.  Evertyhing should be corrected now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Always with the new beginnings

Wow. A lot can change in a couple months. My first year in Bible Study Fellowship is now over. It's weird. I'm sad to be losing my discussion group. They're a wonderful collage of women from whom I have learned much. They've made me laugh, they've touched my soul and shown me perspectives I could never truly imagine on my own. In another week and half, my ladies Bible study group on Wednesday, which I lovingly nickname my McDanell study, will be finishing up our current book called The Cycles of Victorious Living by Earl and Hazel Lee. It's a good book and I would recommend it. A little birdie called the church bulletin, informed me the Wednesday night group would study Hebrews next. I hope that is true--I'm ready for digging into a book of the Bible study. Lastly, my small group has started a new book. (Yes, I was in three Bible studies this winter. No, I'm probably not doing that again). The book is something Dave L. was reading and thought we'd

BSF Study Finishing Up Leviticus

Leviticus 26 is a good read. It's the blessings and punishments the Lord details to the Isrealites for obeying or disobeying the decrees and laws handed down at Mt. Sinai. First God lays out the blessings and they are wonderful. Abundant crops, peace, victory over enemies, God dwelling and walking among the people...the first 13 verses are brimming with promises of rewards for obeying God's decress and law. Then, dude, there's a lot of punishments. And yes, they are terrible. The consequences of disobeying God are numerous and destructive and, quite frankly, depressing. Four times, in verses 18, 21, 24 & 28, God says that He will punish their sins 7x over. That's heavy. But all this despair is not without hope. Starting in verse 40 God shows the way out of disobedience and wrath....confess their (the Isrealites) sins, humble their uncircumcised hearts and pay for their sins (by the sin offering set up earlier in the Law). THEN God says He will not reject them,

childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies

if childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies then adulthood is the kingdom where nobody stays. at least not for very long.  everyone and everything is transitory. not everyone dies but that is the way many leave us. some move away, far or near, with promise on both sides to write, to call, to stay in touch. with every modern convenience available we still lose contact, friendships sever and we discover who really cares about our life and who we really care for.  yet others do not die, do not move and yet become absent. people we once thought we couldn't live without are abruptly not around anymore. in reality they didn't suddenly disappear. it was a gradual process taking weeks, months, maybe years. until one day you can't remember what they look like. oh, you can look at a picture and see them but it's just a picture. it's not really them. you close your eyes and can't clearly envision them. who they are is fading and while there are some vivid bright points