Skip to main content

Retreat Reflections Part 1 of 4

I don't like change. I'm human. New experiences are scary and, well, new.

So what did I do this week for my birthday? I went on a 2 day-1 night personal retreat down in Saint Meinrad, Indiana. My first personal retreat. Appropriately enough I stayed at the Saint Meinrad Archabbey (guest house, that is).

(No, I haven't converted to Catholic. Yes, my birthday was in April but I'm celebrating all year long because I turned 30.)

So, what does one do exactly on a personal retreat? Well, I’m glad you asked.  I got the idea from two books I’ve read this year. The first is Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster and the second is Every Woman’s Battle by Shannon Etheridge. The idea evolved into getting some intensive quality time with just me and God. An extended quiet time, if you will. I planned on taking some cues from Foster and doing some studying.

The drive was beautiful. Straight shot down 65 to Louisville (that's pronounced Lou-uh-vul for those non-Kentuckians) then 64 to 145 to 62. Okay, so after Louisville it wasn't so much a straight shot. :)

I was immediately stuck by the beauty of the Archabbey campus. Even the guest house was quite nice with a lovely entrance walkway.  Click on the post title to get to the photo album on Facebook.

However, after I checked in, I struggled to figure out what I was doing. It was almost time for lunch and I had no clue where to go. The lady at the desk suggested going over to the Abbey for the midday prayers and going with the priests to Anselm Hall for lunch. I asked if I could walk to the church. I should have asked how to walk there. I misunderstood her or she misunderstood me.  I ended up driving over. There was no parking.

So I drove back to the guest house, parked and walked through the guest house and over to the church. Naturally I was late. I slipped in the front door to the very edgest seat on the end. An gentleman on the opposite side of the room nicely came over and gave me a program. I followed along but was mostly lost since I’m not Catholic and was unfamiliar with what was going on.

I followed some of the folks out and still struggled to find the dining hall over behind the church. My stomach was churning and there were signifigant butterflies going on inside. I made my way into the dining area, following suit and leaving my bag outside in the hall with the others. Then I walked into the room.

It was wall to wall priests. In their civies, sure, but I knew they were all priests. I was out of place, and didn’t belong and wanted to run away. I maintained my composure on the outside and walked to the back to find the drinks. I had a glass of cranberry juice while I stared out the window at the trees, wondering what on earth I was doing here. What was I thinking?

Tune in tomorrow for the Part 2 of this series.  I find encouragement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Always with the new beginnings

Wow. A lot can change in a couple months. My first year in Bible Study Fellowship is now over. It's weird. I'm sad to be losing my discussion group. They're a wonderful collage of women from whom I have learned much. They've made me laugh, they've touched my soul and shown me perspectives I could never truly imagine on my own. In another week and half, my ladies Bible study group on Wednesday, which I lovingly nickname my McDanell study, will be finishing up our current book called The Cycles of Victorious Living by Earl and Hazel Lee. It's a good book and I would recommend it. A little birdie called the church bulletin, informed me the Wednesday night group would study Hebrews next. I hope that is true--I'm ready for digging into a book of the Bible study. Lastly, my small group has started a new book. (Yes, I was in three Bible studies this winter. No, I'm probably not doing that again). The book is something Dave L. was reading and thought we'd

BSF Study Finishing Up Leviticus

Leviticus 26 is a good read. It's the blessings and punishments the Lord details to the Isrealites for obeying or disobeying the decrees and laws handed down at Mt. Sinai. First God lays out the blessings and they are wonderful. Abundant crops, peace, victory over enemies, God dwelling and walking among the people...the first 13 verses are brimming with promises of rewards for obeying God's decress and law. Then, dude, there's a lot of punishments. And yes, they are terrible. The consequences of disobeying God are numerous and destructive and, quite frankly, depressing. Four times, in verses 18, 21, 24 & 28, God says that He will punish their sins 7x over. That's heavy. But all this despair is not without hope. Starting in verse 40 God shows the way out of disobedience and wrath....confess their (the Isrealites) sins, humble their uncircumcised hearts and pay for their sins (by the sin offering set up earlier in the Law). THEN God says He will not reject them,

childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies

if childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies then adulthood is the kingdom where nobody stays. at least not for very long.  everyone and everything is transitory. not everyone dies but that is the way many leave us. some move away, far or near, with promise on both sides to write, to call, to stay in touch. with every modern convenience available we still lose contact, friendships sever and we discover who really cares about our life and who we really care for.  yet others do not die, do not move and yet become absent. people we once thought we couldn't live without are abruptly not around anymore. in reality they didn't suddenly disappear. it was a gradual process taking weeks, months, maybe years. until one day you can't remember what they look like. oh, you can look at a picture and see them but it's just a picture. it's not really them. you close your eyes and can't clearly envision them. who they are is fading and while there are some vivid bright points