Skip to main content

By Popular Demand, Part One

Well, maybe not popular demand, but certainly requested. So big brother Dave, this one's for you. Sorry it took so long. I really meant to blog more these last weeks but I didn't follow through. So Dave's comment went something like "Next blog you should include the most precious name I know: Jesus. Find out how we got from Yeshua to Jesus and what does it mean in Hebrew anyway? What does YAHWEH mean and how is that different than Elohim?" Good questions Dave! Those seem like pretty straight forward inquiries. They weren’t. It took a little digging for credible online sources and references books at my mom’s. My first stop was the http://www.behindthename.com/ site. I’ve had a lot of good use out of that site. Back when I was researching Gaelic and Irish names for my 2nd unfinished novel I was scouring websites to find names that suited my characters personalities. Here’s what I found there… JESUS Gender: Masculine Usage: Theology, Biblical Pronounced: JEE-zəs (English) English form of Ιησους (Iesous), which was the Greek form of the Aramaic name יֵשׁוּעַ (Yeshu'a). Yeshu'a is itself a contracted form of Yehoshu'a (see JOSHUA). Yeshua ben Yoseph, better known as Jesus Christ, was the central figure of the New Testament and the source of the Christian religion. The four Gospels state that he was the son of God and the Virgin Mary who fulfilled the Old Testament prophecies of the Messiah. He preached for three years before being crucified in Jerusalem. So that leads to Joshua and here’s what I found for that name: JOSHUA Gender: Masculine Usage: English, Biblical Pronounced: JAH-shə-wə (English), JAW-shwə (English) From the Hebrew name יְהוֹשֻׁעַ (Yehoshu'a) meaning "YAHWEH is salvation". Joshua was one of the twelve spies sent into Canaan by Moses in the Old Testament. After Moses died Joshua succeeded him as leader of the Israelites. As an English name, Joshua has been in use since the Protestant Reformation. Then we come to YAHWEH or YHWH. The actual pronunciation of God’s name has been lost since it was so revered by the Jews that they did not pronounce it. This is explained again in the description below. YAHWEH Gender: Masculine Usage: Theology Pronounced: YAH-wah A name of the Hebrew God, represented in Hebrew by the tetragrammaton ("four letters") יהוה (Yod Heh Vav Heh), transliterated into Roman script Y H W H. Because it was considered blasphemous to utter the name of God it was only written and never spoken. This resulted in the original pronunciation being lost. The name may have originally been derived from the old Semitic root הוה (havah) meaning "to be" or "to become". I checked out a couple other baby name sites. Here’s one that I found interesting. From thinkbabynames.com: The boy's name Jesus \j(e)-sus\ is pronounced JEE-zus, hay-SOOS. It is of Hebrew origin, and its meaning is "the Lord is salvation". Short form of Joshua, from the Hebrew name Jehoshua. The name of the biblical Christ is very frequently used as a given name in Hispanic cultures. Here’s another tidbit I found at about.com (http://christianity.about.com/od/faqhelpdesk/f/jesusoryeshua.htm): Yeshua is the Hebrew name for the Lord. It means "Yahweh [the Lord] is Salvation." The English spelling of Yeshua is “Joshua.” However, when translated from Hebrew into the Greek language, the name Yeshua becomes Iēsous. The English spelling for Iēsous is “Jesus.” So Jesus and Joshua are the same name; just translated differently. Pretty neat! Next Time….Elohim....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Always with the new beginnings

Wow. A lot can change in a couple months. My first year in Bible Study Fellowship is now over. It's weird. I'm sad to be losing my discussion group. They're a wonderful collage of women from whom I have learned much. They've made me laugh, they've touched my soul and shown me perspectives I could never truly imagine on my own. In another week and half, my ladies Bible study group on Wednesday, which I lovingly nickname my McDanell study, will be finishing up our current book called The Cycles of Victorious Living by Earl and Hazel Lee. It's a good book and I would recommend it. A little birdie called the church bulletin, informed me the Wednesday night group would study Hebrews next. I hope that is true--I'm ready for digging into a book of the Bible study. Lastly, my small group has started a new book. (Yes, I was in three Bible studies this winter. No, I'm probably not doing that again). The book is something Dave L. was reading and thought we'd

BSF Study Finishing Up Leviticus

Leviticus 26 is a good read. It's the blessings and punishments the Lord details to the Isrealites for obeying or disobeying the decrees and laws handed down at Mt. Sinai. First God lays out the blessings and they are wonderful. Abundant crops, peace, victory over enemies, God dwelling and walking among the people...the first 13 verses are brimming with promises of rewards for obeying God's decress and law. Then, dude, there's a lot of punishments. And yes, they are terrible. The consequences of disobeying God are numerous and destructive and, quite frankly, depressing. Four times, in verses 18, 21, 24 & 28, God says that He will punish their sins 7x over. That's heavy. But all this despair is not without hope. Starting in verse 40 God shows the way out of disobedience and wrath....confess their (the Isrealites) sins, humble their uncircumcised hearts and pay for their sins (by the sin offering set up earlier in the Law). THEN God says He will not reject them,

childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies

if childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies then adulthood is the kingdom where nobody stays. at least not for very long.  everyone and everything is transitory. not everyone dies but that is the way many leave us. some move away, far or near, with promise on both sides to write, to call, to stay in touch. with every modern convenience available we still lose contact, friendships sever and we discover who really cares about our life and who we really care for.  yet others do not die, do not move and yet become absent. people we once thought we couldn't live without are abruptly not around anymore. in reality they didn't suddenly disappear. it was a gradual process taking weeks, months, maybe years. until one day you can't remember what they look like. oh, you can look at a picture and see them but it's just a picture. it's not really them. you close your eyes and can't clearly envision them. who they are is fading and while there are some vivid bright points