Skip to main content

This whole Lent thing...and Numbers 20

I gave up Facebook for Lent. It wasn't my idea. I read about a father who was doing it and thought, that's not something I want to do really because I'm on Facebook all the time. Since I didn't want to give it up intially it seemed like a good idea. The first three days were really hard. I had to remove the Facebook application from my phone eventually. I directed all the emails from Facebook into a specific folder so I wouldn't be tempted to read them. So what am I doing instead? Not as much as I thought I would. I am on the computer less, which is a good thing. I realize much of my time on Facebook was out of boredom. I'm trying to remind myself of more worthwhile activites in the real world. Scrappbooking, hanging out *in person* with friends (what a concept!), playing board games, talking about Jesus, sharing Jesus, reading, and I know praying should have been sooner on the list but this is where it occurred to me to mention. I may have watched a little TV too. Okay maybe a lot of TV. But not as much as I used to. I started reading A Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster. It's a wonderful book thus far and I'm learning a lot. I want to try putting more of the disciplines into practice. It's going to take a lot of work, but for God nothing is impossible. (Luke 1:37) I'm also reading and rereading the passages for BSF during the week. I actually forgot to do most of the questions last week. I just got so into the scripture. Reading it over and over and being shocked at how short the Isrealites' memories often were and similarly shocked that I can remember times when I've had the same short term memory problem when it came to God. Moving on into Numbers 20. Not a fun chapter so far. Like several times before the Isrealites came to a place in the desert where there was no water. Like times before they started grumbling to Moses. In my NIV Bible is says they "quarreled" with Moses. One of the questions on my BSF homework says to compare the first 13 verses of Numbers 20 with Exodus 15:22-27; 17:1-7 and Numbers 14; 16. The passages in Exodus are very similar situations--the Isrealites set out and camp where they can't find water. The Numbers passages are two situations of clear rebellion against Moses and invariably God, since Moses was in charge because God said so. So this is a situation Moses and the Isrealites have been in before. Except this time Moses gives the people water in a way in which God did not command. God said speak to a rock and it would bring water; Moses struck the rock with his staff. Moses & Aaron disobey God and their punishment is Moses & Aaron will not be entering the Promised Land. There's something about Moses not honoring God as holy that I haven't figured out yet. I hope the rest of the week's study sheds more light on that. Maybe I need to come back to it again as well. I think, intially, the punishment Moses and Aaron recieve for not getting the water the way God commanded seems harsh. They're not perfect but this is Moses and Aaron. God's chosen prophet and leader of the Isrealites, and God's first high priest from whom the priesthood line will descend. On the other hand I know how highly God values holiness. It's really really high. And Moses and Aaron, you would think after all they'd seen and experienced and witnessed, would have known to trust God's instructions. I'll keep reading and praying for the Holy Spirit to "illumine me" . Last thought is a hymn "Open my eyes that I may see". I don't sing is very often but it's very beautiful.

Open my eyes that I may see

Glimpses of truth Thou hast for me;

Place in my hands the wonderful key

That shall unclasp and set me free.

Silently now I wait for Thee,

Ready, my God, Thy will to see;

Open my eyes, illumine me, Spirit Divine!

Open my ears that I may hear

Voices of truth Thou sendest clear;

And while the wave notes fall on my ear,

Everything false will disappear.

Open my mouth and let me bear

Tidings of mercy everywhere;

Open my heart and let me prepare

Love with Thy children thus to share.

Open my mind that I may read

More of Thy love in word and deed;

What shall I fear while yet Thou dost lead?

Only for light from Thee I plead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Always with the new beginnings

Wow. A lot can change in a couple months. My first year in Bible Study Fellowship is now over. It's weird. I'm sad to be losing my discussion group. They're a wonderful collage of women from whom I have learned much. They've made me laugh, they've touched my soul and shown me perspectives I could never truly imagine on my own. In another week and half, my ladies Bible study group on Wednesday, which I lovingly nickname my McDanell study, will be finishing up our current book called The Cycles of Victorious Living by Earl and Hazel Lee. It's a good book and I would recommend it. A little birdie called the church bulletin, informed me the Wednesday night group would study Hebrews next. I hope that is true--I'm ready for digging into a book of the Bible study. Lastly, my small group has started a new book. (Yes, I was in three Bible studies this winter. No, I'm probably not doing that again). The book is something Dave L. was reading and thought we'd

BSF Study Finishing Up Leviticus

Leviticus 26 is a good read. It's the blessings and punishments the Lord details to the Isrealites for obeying or disobeying the decrees and laws handed down at Mt. Sinai. First God lays out the blessings and they are wonderful. Abundant crops, peace, victory over enemies, God dwelling and walking among the people...the first 13 verses are brimming with promises of rewards for obeying God's decress and law. Then, dude, there's a lot of punishments. And yes, they are terrible. The consequences of disobeying God are numerous and destructive and, quite frankly, depressing. Four times, in verses 18, 21, 24 & 28, God says that He will punish their sins 7x over. That's heavy. But all this despair is not without hope. Starting in verse 40 God shows the way out of disobedience and wrath....confess their (the Isrealites) sins, humble their uncircumcised hearts and pay for their sins (by the sin offering set up earlier in the Law). THEN God says He will not reject them,

childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies

if childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies then adulthood is the kingdom where nobody stays. at least not for very long.  everyone and everything is transitory. not everyone dies but that is the way many leave us. some move away, far or near, with promise on both sides to write, to call, to stay in touch. with every modern convenience available we still lose contact, friendships sever and we discover who really cares about our life and who we really care for.  yet others do not die, do not move and yet become absent. people we once thought we couldn't live without are abruptly not around anymore. in reality they didn't suddenly disappear. it was a gradual process taking weeks, months, maybe years. until one day you can't remember what they look like. oh, you can look at a picture and see them but it's just a picture. it's not really them. you close your eyes and can't clearly envision them. who they are is fading and while there are some vivid bright points