Skip to main content

Do People See Jesus In Me?

Today was a really cool day.  A friend and I trekked to the main branch of our city's library, just to hang out and read.  It is a really neat building; there is a very large new building built right next to, and attached, the original library.  The juxtaposition of the now main, and modern portion of the library nestled behind the classic architecture, which now houses the fiction sections, is very beautiful and poetic.

And people talked to me today.  Complete strangers.  All I had to do was make eye contact and smile. It was amazing how that little double action brings such big results.

Someone asked me to watch his stuff at the adjacent computer station while he was up.  Another gentleman, walking through the library with a couple women complimented me on my hair.  One of the library employees stopped to chat for a moment; warning me of the impending snow, sharing the fact that she was from Panama originally and they didn't get weather like this.  75 degrees all year round.  I told her I was from further north so I'm used to worse than this.  Then she said I looked like the prettiest girl.  I was so touched.

But I don't think the compliments were really meant for me.  Why did I look these people in the eye and smile?  Because I want to love them like Jesus does.  I want to see what He sees when he looks at people.  And I think these people saw me catch their eye and saw me smile and saw Jesus in me.  I don't know how to explain it.  They saw the inner joy I have that I can't keep to myself.

It's the kind of joy that makes me smile.  The kind of joy that slows down to let someone enter the highway from an entrance ramp.  The kind of joy that wants to overlook the outside cover of a person and dig into the pages of their book.

I said it already but it's amazing when you look a total stranger in the eye and genuinely smile.  Not a polite, required by etiquette or social norms and customs sort of smile.  A genuine smile that recognizes the divine in that stranger, that sees the reflection of our Creator in a person worthy of love and attention and my time.

My time is not my own anyway--it's God's.  How better do I use it than in His service to simply love His people?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Afraid of the ...

fear the monster around the corner of daydreams in the shadows of musings beneath the surface of calm, cool and collected there lies chaos, confusion and consternation turmoil that cannot be escaped imagination warped intellect perverted haunted happiness and villainous joy the monster waits behind every smile waiting to question waiting to doubt waiting to engulf and devour

Bigger Problems

I may not be okay but seriously there are far, far bigger problems in the world.   From the devastating earthquake in Haiti, to the tight Connecticut race for Kennedy's old Senate seat, to Health Care reform, to Paula Abdula not being a judge on American Idol this season...  Okay maybe the last one isn't that earth-shattering.  I might get lynched by a couple friends who watch it but I'll take my chances. Part of me is kicking myself for being so selfish and self centered lately.  Who cares if I'm depressed?  Or I don't feel like myself? There are families with loved ones serving in the military in dangerous places around the world.  There are kids and families on the streets, around the world and in the U.S. that don't know when they're next meal will be or how they will survive another cold winter night without shelter.  There are children who have no father or mother; they both died from AIDS, or cancer, or a drunk driver hit their car. How dare I s...

Always with the new beginnings

Wow. A lot can change in a couple months. My first year in Bible Study Fellowship is now over. It's weird. I'm sad to be losing my discussion group. They're a wonderful collage of women from whom I have learned much. They've made me laugh, they've touched my soul and shown me perspectives I could never truly imagine on my own. In another week and half, my ladies Bible study group on Wednesday, which I lovingly nickname my McDanell study, will be finishing up our current book called The Cycles of Victorious Living by Earl and Hazel Lee. It's a good book and I would recommend it. A little birdie called the church bulletin, informed me the Wednesday night group would study Hebrews next. I hope that is true--I'm ready for digging into a book of the Bible study. Lastly, my small group has started a new book. (Yes, I was in three Bible studies this winter. No, I'm probably not doing that again). The book is something Dave L. was reading and thought we'd...