Skip to main content

In Farewell: The note left on the fridge next to the class schedule that wasn’t even noticed for five days

A sampling of things you should have done over the years—

 helped your friend in 4th grade when he got beat up by that sixth grade bully

 paid attention in English comp

 got a job

 asked me to prom 1st

 used more than two words in most of your sentences

 put the toilet seat down

 used your signal

 stopped our friend from driving after that party sophomore year

 stopped for milk at the grocery store

 paid attention in algebra class

 fought the good fight

 kept your mouth shut in pep squad formation

 cleaned the frat house before your mom visited

 paid attention in chemistry lab

 had any ambition

 remembered to turn your signal off

 let go of the past

 smiled at that kid on the subway

 treated your best friend to dinner for his birthday

 paid attention in history class

 waited for the trade paper back of 1st stargate atlantis

 gone to any of your classes

 dreamed

 kept your fridge stocked with actual food

 washed the dishes in your sink more often than every three weeks

 remembered your sister’s birthday

 thought about the future

 been on time to my dinner party

 called to say you would be late to my dinner party

 brought flowers for being late to my dinner party

 brought wine to my dinner party

 spoken like an adult at my dinner party

 stayed for dessert and coffee at my dinner party

 helped clean up after my dinner party

 apologized for ruining my dinner party

 paid attention in sociology class

 paid attention in psychology class

 paid attention to the stars

 paid attention to life

 paid attention to me

and maybe,
just maybe,
I’d have considered………


Copyright Michelle Post

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Afraid of the ...

fear the monster around the corner of daydreams in the shadows of musings beneath the surface of calm, cool and collected there lies chaos, confusion and consternation turmoil that cannot be escaped imagination warped intellect perverted haunted happiness and villainous joy the monster waits behind every smile waiting to question waiting to doubt waiting to engulf and devour

Bigger Problems

I may not be okay but seriously there are far, far bigger problems in the world.   From the devastating earthquake in Haiti, to the tight Connecticut race for Kennedy's old Senate seat, to Health Care reform, to Paula Abdula not being a judge on American Idol this season...  Okay maybe the last one isn't that earth-shattering.  I might get lynched by a couple friends who watch it but I'll take my chances. Part of me is kicking myself for being so selfish and self centered lately.  Who cares if I'm depressed?  Or I don't feel like myself? There are families with loved ones serving in the military in dangerous places around the world.  There are kids and families on the streets, around the world and in the U.S. that don't know when they're next meal will be or how they will survive another cold winter night without shelter.  There are children who have no father or mother; they both died from AIDS, or cancer, or a drunk driver hit their car. How dare I s...

Always with the new beginnings

Wow. A lot can change in a couple months. My first year in Bible Study Fellowship is now over. It's weird. I'm sad to be losing my discussion group. They're a wonderful collage of women from whom I have learned much. They've made me laugh, they've touched my soul and shown me perspectives I could never truly imagine on my own. In another week and half, my ladies Bible study group on Wednesday, which I lovingly nickname my McDanell study, will be finishing up our current book called The Cycles of Victorious Living by Earl and Hazel Lee. It's a good book and I would recommend it. A little birdie called the church bulletin, informed me the Wednesday night group would study Hebrews next. I hope that is true--I'm ready for digging into a book of the Bible study. Lastly, my small group has started a new book. (Yes, I was in three Bible studies this winter. No, I'm probably not doing that again). The book is something Dave L. was reading and thought we'd...